High Cove Holt
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» The Fire is Coming
by Ember Robinwood Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:37 am

» Wolf/Sea OOC Discussion
by Leanan Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:37 pm

» Nymirni's Beach
by Tidemist Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:36 am

» Staff On LOA
by Kaimeta Sun Sep 06, 2015 11:33 am

» [Art] Shinebright's drawings
by Ember Robinwood Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:20 pm

» Kaimeta's Beach and Hut
by Kaimeta Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:58 am

» Lace's Cave
by Shinebright Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:36 am

» chit chat
by Kaimeta Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:46 pm

» Members on LOA
by Tidemist Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:58 am

Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 35 on Wed Jul 07, 2021 4:40 am
Affiliates

free forum

Forumotion on Facebook Forumotion on Twitter Forumotion on YouTube Forumotion on Google+

Questions about the Holt

+4
WolfCandy
Leanan
Tehaar
Tidemist
8 posters

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Questions about the Holt - Page 2 Empty Re: Questions about the Holt

Post by Kaimeta Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:52 am

Im gonna say this once for everyone Kai will shape just about anything for anyone. She likes the company while their getting shaped and all that. So she would be more than happy to shape a tail for Tern, however i can't speak to the other thing. I would say yes you can have a second magical ability but it really comes down to what Tide has to say about the matter.
Kaimeta
Kaimeta
High One

Back to top Go down

Post by WolfCandy Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:10 am

Thanks, Ed! Smile If Kai (can I call her that OOC?) will shape his tail then he really doens't need to be a self-shaper... Plus, I've thought it over and I really don't want him having more than one magic ability. He isn't really the magic user type, and what magic he does have isn't very strong or honed. He's kind of like a casual magic user, magic is a very small part of his life.
WolfCandy
WolfCandy

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaimeta Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:15 am

Sounds like a plan! You sure can call her that in OOC And Tern could call her Kai in the rp, i don't really mind its whatever makes the character comfortable.
Kaimeta
Kaimeta
High One

Back to top Go down

Post by WolfCandy Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:40 am

I think Tern and Kai might get along well (Tern has a lack of seriousness like her) so maybe they can grow close enough for him to call her that Very Happy There would certainly be enough opportunity if he's always coming to her for shaping. Very Happy
WolfCandy
WolfCandy

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaimeta Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:43 am

Kai has an accidentally darker past than I had originally intended her life mate and son being lost in the same battle, so she spends her days at play or drunk. She will usually tell younger elves to call her Kai but i know that kids will be kids and usually respectful and stuff. lol again i'm total game for any shaping with in reason now. no big slongs. ok?
Kaimeta
Kaimeta
High One

Back to top Go down

Post by WolfCandy Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:55 am

lol, that shouldn't be an issue since Tern is abstinent ;P Possibly the first in elfin history Very Happy
WolfCandy
WolfCandy

Back to top Go down

Post by WolfCandy Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:56 am

Here's another question... are we allowed to make new threads in the AFK section?
WolfCandy
WolfCandy

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaimeta Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:58 am

yes
please do. I set that up as the more or less spam section, cause honestly we all need a place to just talk.
Kaimeta
Kaimeta
High One

Back to top Go down

Post by WolfCandy Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:00 am

Yay! Thanks!
WolfCandy
WolfCandy

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaimeta Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:03 am

king
Kaimeta
Kaimeta
High One

Back to top Go down

Post by Leanan Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:16 am

Thanks for all the info! Another question:

Tidemist wrote:Preserver(s)(max. 2 per tribe): Seafolk-
                                             WolfFolk

Just for clarification:
In the tribal positions, does the line above refer to elves who preserve food for storage, or to actual Preserver characters (such as Petalwing)?
Leanan
Leanan

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaimeta Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:22 am

I'm gonna have to let Tide field that one as I am about to,go to bed and have no idea.
Kaimeta
Kaimeta
High One

Back to top Go down

Post by Tidemist Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:29 am

first off, yes, elves can have more than one magical ability, though i think 2 will be the max for any character...just so people who want a certain ability will have the chance to get it. Tidemist herself has the ability to float and watershape to an extent.

and as for Preservers, yes it does relate to the actual critters! there's a profile for them below the Elf profile, so if people so desire they will be allowed to play as a preserver...after all, what Holt ever allowed that?^^ makes us different! i see no reason why some people wouldn't want to play a nice spittybug!
Tidemist
Tidemist
Chieftess

Back to top Go down

Post by Leanan Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:52 am

Tidemist wrote:after all, what Holt ever allowed that?^^ makes us different!

Um... Starpool Holt, Thunderwater Holt, Shadow Wood Holt... and that's just the ones I've played in. So, not so unique, but a good feature none the less! flower 
Leanan
Leanan

Back to top Go down

Post by Tidemist Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:15 am

....well i tried. XD but yes, i'm trying to provide lots of opportunity for a variety of players.
Tidemist
Tidemist
Chieftess

Back to top Go down

Post by Tehaar Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:22 pm

I have some questions about game mechanics since it seems that I'm used to a really different style. I see that you have set up threads for locations, so I take it that threads aren't scene-based but location-based? I guess only games in a "current" setting (time-wise) are allowed in that case? Not possible to have the same character in several threads at once, even if the threads happen at slightly different times, like one after another? Did I get it right?

How about posting when you have created the two characters. Are you supposed to mark it somehow which character is posting, or will it just be made clear by the post itself?

And then one more thing - in the scene-based games that I've been a part of, the title of the thread is something like: "Old Friends Meet (Tehaar and Leanan)" or "Wandering In The Forest (Open)". That's to define whether anyone can participate or if it's meant for certain characters. And in my example, Tehaar and Leanan are characters and not the players, just to clarify. Wink Is there such a thing in this Holt and how is a scene defined if everything in one place is also in one thread?

Just curious to know this stuff, don't mean to be a pain in the bottom. Very Happy I hope you don't mind!

Tehaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Tidemist Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:38 pm

well hopefully i can answer clearly...yes, the roleplays are location based. meaning, if a handful of WolfFolk decided to have a hunt, it would take place in Forest around Holt. and generally yes, a character will be in one storyline at a time.

one of the possible mechanisms i thought of was to color code...have a color that is easily read for each of your characters. otherwise, post them at the same time if they are in the same storyline, but in seperate paragraphs.

here's an example

Jaggerteeth walked around, trying not to bumble and cut his feet on the shells

Swimcloth hung around in a tree, trying to decide if she wanted fruit or not.

except bigger of course. we do try to maintain a 100 word minimum post...though that would apply to each character. it'd basically be two posts in one at the same time.

and most of the threads will not have names that that...they will be based on the setting, not the characters participating. if two people want a private-ish roleplay, they can discuss it in PM or the OOC discussion with the clarification it's just them and then play it out. when a storyline in a thread has ended, then a banner i've made will be posted after the last post. the code for this banner is in the Roleplay rules.

again, taking the hunting storyline example, if the handful of players do it and complete the hunt, and they all agree it is finished, it will be marked with a border. then if they decide to do another hunt, they will continue after the border.
Tidemist
Tidemist
Chieftess

Back to top Go down

Post by Tehaar Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:38 pm

Okay, thanks for the clarification! I'll wait to see some more actual threads to better understand how it works. Smile I'm so set in my ways that it's difficult to change my mindset into another style of RP, heh.

Tehaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Apogee Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:56 pm

Hey there!

On looking at the list of available powers in the Tribe info section, I was wondering if it would be possible to add

"Bone / Coral / Shell" shaping to the list? Since there would be a plethora of such things on the coast, it would seem likely to me that someone among the sea elves would have developed a penchant for it.

(edited to add)
I have a general question,

How many characters are appropriate for one player?

I know that often depends on how large the group playing becomes, because having a huge number of characters can become very unwieldy. But for a smaller group, it limits interactions dramatically to have a small number available, pending new members or the decision to have background npcs available for all to use.

Background characters for both tribes might be an easier way to get people posting and allow folks to become more comfortable with posting style or if there are issues with how they write, those can be addressed. I *love* making characters, and I rarely mind if one of them goes on to have a life of its own under someone else's direction. I'm all for having a stock group of existing characters - obviously, all approved or tweaked as needed - for both tribes, so that players can tap into them without having to wait for another player's reply on a more important thread.

(end edit)

Also, if anyone wants more random elf goodness, I've got several generators and doll sites available that I've made over the years. The elfquest-based generator has a selection of *horrible names* (because random names are random) but has a reasonably detailed level of information on them. They include all tribes, though I could be convinced to make a pared-down version for just wolf-riders and sea elves (and maybe high ones) if needed.

http://www.droppin-the-fork.com/elves/abode_elf_dollz/eqgenerator4.htm

I've got my old 'Abode Elf Dollz' site still up after all these years, which has doll bases as well as face outlines I drew. They're available for general (credited) use.

http://www.droppin-the-fork.com/elves/abode_elf_dollz/abode-dollz.htm
The "Bases" and "Faces" sections have the important stuff, many links don't necessarily lead to the right site since it used to be a Geocities page and those all got moved onto my main website, not all have been cleaned up for on-site links.
... Yes, I've been at this elfquest fandom for a long time. Smile

Last edited by Apogee on Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:12 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added question)
Apogee
Apogee

http://www.droppin-the-fork.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Tidemist Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:14 pm

that is a very good point. however bone shaping would go under self shaping or healing i believe. but coral shaping is certainly a power that warrants being added! thank you for pointing that out.^^

as for your general question, that is answered in the Character Profile thread.^-~ but i don't mind repeating myself. in this holt, each player is allowed a max of 2 characters, with their first being considered the primary profile and thus the one that decides which group they are added to, SeaFolk or WolfFolk. we understand people have creativity and we WANT to encourage that...but it's no fun for the others when most of the characters belong to the same person. so i feel that in a holt, 2 is a fair number, especially considering they can choose to be a wolf elf, a sea elf or a preserver!

we will have adoptable characters later, but only after we have filled out the list somewhat...it's distressingly empty right now. XD but we'll have a variety that people can take up, aka family members, cubs of recogniton neither parents want to play, so forth. eventually we will be able to allow some wanderers in as well!

and THANK YOU so much for the additional generators! i will happily add these to the Character Creation for anyone who may need them!
Tidemist
Tidemist
Chieftess

Back to top Go down

Post by Apogee Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:32 pm

Ah I hadn't seen the limit of 2, that's fine with me, I think it's a good working number because I've seen what can happen with lots more Wink

And as long as Coral shaping is a go, I'm gonna dive in with Coral my character when I've fleshed his cis out a little. Very Happy
Apogee
Apogee

Back to top Go down

Post by Tidemist Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:35 pm

yay i'm happy! i was afraid you were critizing because i wasn't allowing enough...^^0 but i felt 2 was a fair number, especially if we get a lot of people!

and wheee! i'm so delighted! i can't wait to read the profile, i am very excited! i feel as hyper as a preserver with these new members!
Tidemist
Tidemist
Chieftess

Back to top Go down

Post by Apogee Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:44 pm

Oh another question regarding the Sea folk:

Do they have animal-bonding, in general, or would that be something that only a very few of them might show; and IF they do, I would assume it would be either 'animals overall' (like including sea birds or small mammals/lizards) or specifically 'sea animals only' (to include seals, dolphin, octopus, fish, etc)?
Apogee
Apogee

Back to top Go down

Post by Tidemist Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:57 pm

they can bond with an animal, though not on the same level as a wolfrider does with their wolf.

the small animals(birds,lizards, small fish) would count as pets. the larger, like seals or dolphins would count as bond animals, because that would be an animal they could train of sorts. please no Whalefriends though...:p we don't want to drench the other elves.
Tidemist
Tidemist
Chieftess

Back to top Go down

Post by Apogee Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:04 pm

*snerk* "BUT MOM, he followed me HOME!" Very Happy
Apogee
Apogee

Back to top Go down